Monday, August 12, 2013

On the Front Porch


Ansel Adams once lamented that some of his early work had great depth of field (meaning it was in sharp focus from foreground to background) but limited depth of feeling. I sometimes think about Ansel’s lamentation as I look at my own pictures, asking myself: Does it just look nice, or does it say something? Is my heart in it?

It’s a critical question, one that needs to be asked...but one also fraught with peril, because it  sets up these possible scenarios:

A: Artist makes work, puts his/her heart and soul into it.
B: Viewer comes along and reacts favorably to the art.
C: Artist feels fulfilled...
Or:
D: Viewer doesn’t think much of the work and is unmoved.
E: Artist feels like a failure.

I once worked as a photographer at a newspaper where a wise-ass reporter said to me: “Photographers...you just can’t love ‘em enough,”   a sardonic but I think right-on observation about artists, and frail egos.

                                       ***

I guess I’ve learned to survive in the conflicted world of art and commerce because last week I shot a lot of nice images that clients paid me to do, but I also shot pictures, just for myself,  that I like. It’s the personal pictures I’m posting here today.

The wisteria on our front porch has been amazing this year, blooming not just once, but twice. The blooms positively glow in the early light of morning; and in the evening, the soft shadows the leaves cast on our front door are wonderful.

The front porch is our outdoor living room this time of year.
Humans (and dogs) spend evenings on the porch, and are quietly contented.