Monday, August 20, 2012

A little nutty


I’m more than a little embarrassed to admit how weird I am about the weather (and, mind you, I generally try not to get too controlling about things I can't, uh, control.) During the 10-plus months of the year when it is chilly, gray, and raining here in the Pacific Northwest, I exhibit what I suspect is normal, human behavior: I wish for sunshine and warmer temperatures. Now that it’s summer, however, and the weather for several weeks has been what everyone around me considers “nice” or even “perfect,” I’m feeling itchy for the rains to return.

Shorts and t-shirts: Okay, we’ve been there, done that. Temps in the 70’s and 80’s, sunshine, and comfortable humidity: We’ve now done that too. I guess I’m a real Pacific Northwesterner, because I get uneasy if the weather is too good for too long. Gimme some-o-that fleece and rain parka weather.

But once the monsoons return -- and they will return, and it will be sooner rather than later -- I’ll be longing for the days when we hung dish towels outside on the clotheslines to dry...when dinner’s fixings like potatoes or salad greens were gathered fresh from the garden...and when sunflowers were blooming.

Nutty as I am about the seasons, at least I have the good sense to be taking pictures. Some rainy, stormy day in February, these images will help remind me of summer...and then I’ll remember these days as being perfect.