Friday, April 2, 2010

Unsettled


I have a friend who likes to tease me that I live like I think I’m Amish. Our garden and farm animals and rural lifestyle might seem a bit quaint, I guess...and there have been times when, over a few beers, I’ve gone off on a philosophical sermonette to my friend about how "the important things are not things"...which I guess is a fairly Amish way of looking at life. I don’t blame my friend for giving me a hard time.

This is the season of the year when the power goes off at our house -- and it goes off a lot. Spring storms come blowing in off the Pacific. Winds wail up, over, and around the Olympic Mountains and across Puget Sound, and big, iconic Pacific Northwest fir trees blow down over power lines. Quicker than you can say “Horse and Buggy” our lights flicker off and we’re lighting candles and oil lamps and living without computers and the Internet in our house...you know, like the Amish.

“Unsettled” is how meteorologists refer to spring weather here in the Seattle area. We can have rain and hail and high winds one minute, gentle, blessed sunshine the next. Even as I type the words for this blog post, a storm is supposedly heading this way. We could well be without electricity tonight.

Several evenings ago I looked up at an unsettled sky and I knew a picture possibility was in my near future. The combination of storm clouds and sun over Puget Sound was quite amazing. A picturesque ferry boat came into view.

Life was good in my photographer-quasi-Amish-world.