Friday, April 16, 2010

Nature's Art


I was walking along a trail near my house this week when I looked down toward my feet and got a visual blast of the Colorado Plateau.

Well...not really. The reality was that my hiking boots were most certainly squishing over the mooshy-gooshy, rain-saturated earth to be found here near Puget Sound in the Pacific Northwest. But what I spotted as I walked -- the amazing pieces of tree fungus...all a-swirly and a-whirly -- reminded me instantly of patterns and shapes in rocks I’ve photographed on trips to the American Southwest.

So...here are pictures you can consider. I’ll leave it to you to decide whether: A: You understand and agree with the visual connection I made...or B: You think I’ve been gathering too many magic mushrooms in the woods and I’m slightly-to-completely deranged.

Regardless of how you judge my level of sanity, I trust that you will agree with me about one thing:

Nature is just utterly amazing. We can all be humbled and inspired by her art.