Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Breaking Free


I can’t remember ever not enjoying myself when I’ve been in the mountains or in other wild outdoor places. Rain, snow, wind -- even biting bugs who play slip-n-slide in the sweat pooled up under my eyes while I hike -- have sometimes been part of my Outdoor Experience, yet even those, the “bad” days, were filled with more moments of joy than misery.

And the Good Days? Sunshine, a warm breeze, big puffy clouds drifting lazily over a picturesque mountain summit, a high alpine meadow all to myself while I napped on a mossy log that cradled the contours of my back just-right...well those days have been Just Too Perfect.

It feels weird to admit, then, that I had a hard time getting myself out the door this past weekend. I wanted to go hiking. My tensed-up soul told me I needed to go hiking. And yet there was this chore that should be done around the house, and that. Lotsa reasons to stay home. Leah felt the same way. We talked about staying home and being "productive."

But we know what’s good for us, and so we went. We went to a forest where there was new snow on the trail and where there were huge, old-growth trees, but no other human beings.

It was just your average, run-of-the-mill, Perfect Day To Be Out.