Tuesday, July 15, 2008

No Releases


I’m pretty sure the animals who live at our house don’t mind being photographed. At least I hope that’s the case, because I recently bought a new snapshot camera and our dogs and cat have been my primary photographic subjects as I play with my new toy.

Though completely unintentional, I look at the pictures I’ve been shooting and I notice that many include chairs. Most have strong graphic lines and shapes.

The personal pictures I do are my way of exercising my eyes. Like a marathon runner who needs to put in 10 or 15 miles a day to stay fit, I think photographers too benefit by daily workouts, though in our case we are practicing the way we see. My personal work also winds up being a diary, a chronicle of my everyday life.

The convenient thing for me about photographing our pets is that I’m fairly certain I don’t need to worry about model releases.