Thursday, July 24, 2008

New Toy


So I’m officially crazy-in-love with my new compact camera, a Canon G9.

No I didn’t really need another camera, but (get ready for a rationalization) I got the G9 by trading-in a lens that I wasn’t using any longer, so it’s not like I spent real money for the G9...
is it?

Please tell me the purchase/trade was okay. I’m fragile about these consumer matters. (The more fragile I get, the more words I tend to italicize...)

Actually, the buyer’s (trader’s?) remorse only lasted a few days. Then I began to shoot pictures I halfway like with the new camera. Nearly all of the images I’ve posted on this online journal in the past two weeks were shot with the G9. There’s nothing like being immediately productive with a new camera to make an unnecessary purchase seem like a prudent, well-considered move.

Even dog-walking-time has led to the finding of images. This surprises me because the strolls with the four-leggeds are a part of my day when--though in theory I’m on what is supposed to be the "in-charge" end of the dog's leash--I'm in practice being dragged along by a creature who is intent on following scents, not what the "master" believes might be photo opportunities. A pinkish/purplish wildflower (above,) blooming over near my neighbor’s pasture, was illuminated by early-morning light when I happened past. I had a few moments when I was able to shoot a few frames, before a strong tug from the other end of the leash let me know it was time to get moving. Later that same morning (minus the dog) I used the camera’s macro mode to shoot close-ups of a marigold in Leah’s garden.

I’m pretty jazzed about my new camera.

Did I mention I didn’t spend actual out-of-pocket money to get it?