Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Good Week


Leah came home from the grocery store the other day practically jumping up and down with excitement. "She’s won the Lottery," I thought... (difficult, if not impossible to do, considering we don’t buy tickets.)

“Something very cool is happening at the Thriftway,” Leah said earnestly. “They’re selling local milk in glass bottles!”

For people like us, the Milk News was big, and apparently Leah and I are not alone in that feeling. The folks at the Thriftway tell us that the milk is selling like crazy and the store can’t keep it in stock...meaning fewer plastic milk jugs going into the recycle bin, fewer paper cartons winding up in a landfill.

Natural, locally-produced milk, sold in glass bottles: Is it a silly, insignificant spit into the environmental wind? ... something only important to a small community of aging granola-head hippies trying to live sustainably? Maybe. But given the choice between cynicism and hope, I’ll choose hope any day.

***

I was doing chores yesterday in our pasture when our Shetland sheep, Sweet Pea, came to visit me. He was all dressed-up for the Easter Parade with an adornment of tiny pine cones and a dried-up leaf in his fleece (his face was beautifully framed by several strands of his breakfast hay.) I told Sweet Pea he was making QUITE the fashion statement.

Continuing with the Cute Animal theme, my neighbor and friend Harley sent me a note, inviting us to come see the new baby goats at his place. Those big floppy ears are just as soft as my heart was when I took the picture. Believe me, that was soft.

Life is good.