Monday, December 10, 2007

Frames


As I look through the photographs we shot on our trip to Nepal, I’m amazed at how many images include a door or a window.

Leah’s picture (above) from a market area in Kathmandu and several of mine (below) from the Solu Khumbu area on the trail toward Mt. Everest are just a few photographs that I like that seem to be based on this quite-unintentional “theme.”

The vibrant trim on many Nepali houses is pretty difficult to resist photographically. As local traders and foreign trekkers move along the trails, curious faces appear in doors and windows of homes, watching the parade of humanity. In return we passersby would wave and give the traditional, hands-folded greeting: “Namaste!”

There was so much to see and enjoy: A small, sweet face in a window in Khumjung; a brightly colored quilt hanging out to dry in Namche Bazaar; and a shy young girl standing just outside the door of her family’s home near Lukla, her father inside giving me the evil eye.

Some travelers feel that carrying a camera gets in the way of human experience.
For me, the camera first leads me in closer. Later it helps me remember.