Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Frames, Part 2


We were like Pied Pipers, Leah and I, as we trekked the trail in the Solu Khumbu area of Nepal, the path that leads to Mt. Everest.

Children would come to the doors and windows of their homes and watch us walk by. We were the best (and only) show in town. Occasionally the kids would follow us down the trail and ask for sweets or pens and paper, but mostly they’d just watch.

Sometimes, when we stopped for tea, the kids would visit and practice their English on us. I, in turn, amused the kids with my sometimes-awkward pronunciation of the few Nepali words I’d learned. My Namaste (Hello) was pretty good, but my Dhanyabhad (thank you) was weak and needed work. Fortunately, Nepali language coaches were everywhere.

I saw them peeking at me from many doors and windows.