Friday, July 27, 2007

Prayer Wheels

I rode my bike to Yoga class Wednesday night. As the road blurred beneath the bike wheels, I pulled my snapshot camera from my bike jersey pocket and made a couple of photographs. It occurs to me now that the image you see above is visually about light and shapes and shadows, but personally it is about balance.

My life is crazy-busy these days--I'm shooting, editing, putting work together, delivering photographs to clients. Wednesday night I stayed up till 2 AM going through prints for a wedding client, but I finally had to quit working when my eyes got so bleary that all the prints looked out-of-focus. Yesterday I stopped at the photo lab and picked up prints from two more weddings--1500 new prints to go through, two 200-photo albums to assemble. This weekend I’ll shoot another wedding, and there will be more prints. My mind flashes on a fantasy movie where I am a snowball and I’m rolling downhill, getting bigger and bigger, rolling faster and faster, and I wonder Can I Stop?

Well yes, I can stop--by finding balance. I can think of a zillion jobs I need to do in my office, but I get myself out the door and on my bike, and I pedal (slowly) to Yoga class. I spend an hour going through the various Yoga poses. My back--tied in knots after 30 years of having camera straps hung from my shoulders--begins to loosen-up. My mind focuses in on the soft, encouraging voice of the Yoga teacher Susan, as she reminds the students in class:

“...breathe, breathe, breathe...”