Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence


Pardon me for saying so Mister President, but the Fourth of July strikes me as a national holiday when we Americans are not at our best.

Just my humble opinion, Mister Leader Man.

Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day, those are holidays of somber reflection, where many of us pause for at least a few minutes to consider our national good fortune, to quietly acknowledge the sacrifices others have made for our country. But on the July 4th holiday, a day we celebrate our independence from the King of England, it is estimated that 41 million of us will jump in our cars or get on airplanes and travel 50 miles or more. (I have a photo shoot to do. I could either fly or drive. I too will be out on the road, in my little Ford Focus.) We will spend this Independence Day holiday demonstrating our dependence on oil. What a weird irony that is.

The United States holds just 5 percent of the world’s people, yet we use 25 percent of its fuels. We generate 75 percent of its pollution and waste.

Mister President, I know you are an oil man, but it is said that you are also a conservative. I was just wondering: Could you please, maybe, possibly, consider leading our nation in ways we might conserve?

Pardon me for asking.