Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A Passing





Most posed, formal photographic portraits you will see of important, revered Tibetan lamas make them look stern and perhaps even scary. They stare stony-faced into the camera, rarely even a hint of a smile on their face…which surprises me because the lamas and monks I know are actually quite happy individuals, prone to impish belly-laughs and even child-like giggles.

His Holiness Jigdal Dagchen Sakya, most often simply called "Rinpoche" (Precious One) by Tibetan Buddhists at the Sakya Monastery in Seattle, passed away last week after a long illness. His family, who knows me through my involvement with the Pacific Northwest Tibetan community, contacted me and asked me to photograph the historic ceremonies surrounding his passing. Of course I replied that I would be honored to do so.

In the eight years I have been documenting Tibetan culture here,  Rinpoche has been the focal point of many of my pictures. And, yes, if I'm photographing something like prayers at the monastery (first photo above)  Rinpoche has been serious.

My favorite photographic memories of him, however, will be of his smile, and the twinkle in his eye.

Yes, it was an honor for me last week to photograph events marking Rinpoche's passing;  but more importantly it was moving to see the people, individually and collectively,  who came out to honor him. 

What I'm sure all of us will remember is Rinpoche's warmth and compassion.