Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Seeing History


Two venerable and respected Tibetan Buddhist lamas came together in Seattle last weekend -- an historic meeting to be sure -- and my cameras and I were in non-stop,  go-go-go mode for the event.

Sayka Trizin Rinpoche traveled here from India to lead long life prayers for HH JD Sakya Rinpoche, who has been ill recently.  (In the photograph above, Sakya Trizin is at left, offering a ceremonial scarf, or katag, to JD Sakya Rinpoche.)

It's been two days now since the prayers concluded,  but my head is still spinning. I was witness to so much color and humanity, to so many beautiful faces, and felt such a sense of responsibility to do it all photographic justice.  Post-event, I'm left feeling a bit hollowed-out and depleted.  As athletes sometimes say, I left it all on the field.

I probably shot a thousand images and have barely had time to download my digital memory cards, much less do a proper edit. Nevertheless, I'm posting a few images that jumped out at me as I shot.

What a weekend!