Thursday, February 4, 2016

Momos and Fire Monkeys


BIG FUN is in the offing -- one of my fave holiday celebrations of the year -- and (lucky me!) I'll be attending a party that most Americans miss.

No, I'm not talking about the Super Bowl!

Two weeks from now my friends in the Seattle Tibetan community will celebrate Tibetan New Year, Losar, and -- trust me! -- it is always WAY BETTER than sitting in front of a TV set, watching some dumb football game.

Last Sunday I dropped by the Tibetan Language and Culture class that the Tibetan community holds for its kids. The class began, as most Tibetan events do, with a prayer for health and longevity for the the Dalai Lama. Then the parents and kids got down to the business of making momos, Tibetan dumplings, for the Losar party.

Stay tuned to this space on the web. Yes, ESPN and CBS might be hyping their coverage of this Sunday's Super Bowl, but in the coming two weeks I promise to be your go-to source for EXCITING Seattle Losar coverage of the Year of the Fire Monkey!