Friday, March 13, 2015

Wow Moments


A photographer friend of mine, someone quite well-known as an artist, teacher, and author, often talks about the way images "present themselves" in his life.  And I must say that those two words -- present themselves -- ring oh-so-true for me as well.

The two photographs I'm posting today are perfect examples of images that came my way this week, not because I sought them out, but because they just appeared -- voila -- in front of me, kinda magically. And while I enjoy and practice many kinds of photography, these are perhaps my favorite kinds of pictures: Personal and diary-like.

The image above was something that I saw when I stepped into the bathroom early one morning to brush my teeth. The photograph below was made on our front porch, just before sunset, as I was splitting wood for our evening fire.  These photographic moments were not planned, or arranged. They simply appeared, in passing.

Are they high art?
Not necessarily. Maybe. Who knows?
Do I care? Not at all.

They're moments when I was going about my business, looked up, and thought: Wow!