Monday, January 5, 2015

Man with a sign


Walking on the streets of downtown Seattle, it is unfortunately a common, everyday thing that one encounters people who appear to be homeless, have some kind of sign asking for money, or both.

A couple of weeks ago I was walking through downtown and I saw the man in the photograph I'm posting today.  As I passed the man, I glanced at his sign, and his face. I kept walking, but then I stopped. I went back to the man.

"I like your sign," I said. "I grew up in the 60's. I remember when Life Magazine did news stories about people who were called 'hippies.'  Could I take your picture?"

"Sure,"  he said.

In the years I worked as a newspaper photographer,  I never gave money to someone so that I could take their photograph (that would not have been journalistically ethical.) Furthermore, it is said (I can't exactly say by whom) that, if one gives money to a street person, our gesture somehow encourages people to live on the streets.

The fellow did not ask for money, but I felt I should give him something. I only had $3 in my pocket and I gave it to him.

"Good luck to you, brother," I said, and I continued on my way.

It occurred to me then that, like many of those who live on the streets, I now had no money in my pocket...though, for me, that situation was only temporary. I walked on, mindful of my good fortune.