Tuesday, October 28, 2014

With the Dalai Lama (Part 2 of 3)


Everywhere I went in Vancouver last week I saw them: Young, old, Asians and Westerners.  Many were holding ceremonial scarves called katas which they hoped to present if he came by, but most I suspect would have been happy just to catch a glimpse of him. Many seemed joyous, but one group of women I saw were overcome by the emotion of the moment and were weeping.

All were waiting for His Holiness, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama. And the respect and affection that people have for the man was obvious.

Yesterday I posted pictures here of Tibetan monks as they made preparations for the Dalai Lama’s visit; and tomorrow I will share pictures I made of the Dalai Lama. 

Today’s photographs. however,  are of everyday people who came out to see the man of peace, winner of the Nobel Prize, but who insists that he’s just “a simple Buddhist monk.”