Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pictures for Friends

I thought I’d do something on this blog today that is a bit unusual...something that, for a photographer -- this photographer at least --  is not at all easy:

I am posting photographs that are not what I consider My Best Work.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I like these images well enough, though not necessarily for aesthetic reasons.  Rather, the pictures touch me because I am personally fond of the people who are in them; and today (as the Christmas and New Year holidays approach) that feels like a good enough reason to put the images on my blog.

My friends from the Seattle area Tibetan community gathered last weekend for a potluck dinner to celebrate, as they do every year, the Dalai Lama’s winning of the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize.  Community members brought their best Tibetan hot dishes, and, while they ate, folks chatted and visited with one-another. In a room of probably 150 people, Leah and I and one other fellow were the only non-Tibetans, though, throughout the evening, we were greeted warmly and made to feel welcome. Again and again the Tibetans told us how much they appreciated our involvement with their community.

I moved quietly around the room, taking candid pictures that, as always,  I give to the community for its web site and Facebook page.

I didn’t wind up making any extraordinary images, though what I did shoot came from my heart.