Friday, September 27, 2013

New Canvas


The changing of the seasons always comes as a bit of a shock to the senses for someone like me who spends time in the mountains, and a bit of effort is needed if one is to maintain mental equilibrium.

Just a week ago my hiking partner Neil and I were hiking in shirtsleeves and sweating like crazy and we trekked up a peak in Mt. Rainier National Park, but things change oh-so quickly in the mountains. Yesterday we did a dayhike in the North Cascades and at our high point -- a pass bit above six thousand feet in elevation -- we found ourselves walking in fresh snow.

It was pretty amazing to stand at that pass and be able to look down into valleys at Autumn, while above us the high peaks had the look of Winter. I had to pull a light stocking cap, gloves, and a windshirt out of my pack. Summer was last week’s experience. Old news.

Mother Nature has new canvas to play with and yesterday I was fortunate to be there to get a sense of what she has to show me in the coming months... if only I'm willing and able to venture out and see.