Monday, July 22, 2013

No Words


If making photographs and throwing them up on the Web was all it took for me to do a blog post, well then I could probably publish something new in this space almost every day.

Photography, you see,  is my first language. I’ve been communicating visually for 40-plus years. For me, making photographs is almost like breathing.

But what to say about the pictures? Ah, that, as climbers say, is the “crux move” in this, my blogger journey up the mountain. I reach into my brain for words, something to support or anchor my pictures, and I come up empty. A flake of word-rock breaks off in my hand.

“I took a picture of a pretty creek.”  (Lame)

“I was hiking and made this image of some wildflowers. The picture reminds me of a Georgia O’Keeffe painting.” (Perhaps less lame, but still lacking.)

What non-lame words can I come up with that are worthy of your time, dear reader?

Often words fail me.  Sometimes all I have to share is pictures.