Friday, March 8, 2013

Two Images


I heard this week that there were new baby goats born at a farm down the lane from us and I asked the neighbor whether I might  wander over with my camera and maybe take a few pictures.

“Sure,” the neighbor said. “We’ll be around this weekend. Come hang out.”

And so Sunday Leah and I went a-visiting, and our neighbor and her husband and their nine-year-old son  took us out to their pasture where we all watched the two baby goats bounce around and play.  It was a mild, spring-like day,  and the goats were just as cute as could be...though I must say that it was one instance when I kind of wished my still pictures were accompanied by sound because baby goat bleating is about the most heartwarming thing you’d ever want to hear.

As I cropped and sized the baby goat picture to post here, it struck me what a human moment I’d seen between the adult goat and the baby.

I was reminded then of another “moment” picture I made recently in a Buddhist monastery in Seattle, an image of a Tibetan woman touching foreheads (a cultural gesture of peace and compassion) with a young monk. 

Two photographs.
Two very different circumstances.
Yet so very similar.

Oh my!
Om Mani Padme Hum!