Thursday, December 6, 2012

Houseguest


Sometimes we human beings meet a creature that is new to us and wonderful, but common sense tells us that it would not be right or proper to get too close emotionally.  Even middle-aged males like me usually know better than to give our hearts to some winsome, pretty young thing,  simply because she awakens in us the possibilities of fun and frolic.

I should hasten to point out: The "creatures"  I’m referring to here are of the four-legged variety: Canines. Dogs. Man’s best friend.

What did you think I was talking about?

Leah and I are baby-sitting our grand-dog this weekend, a sweet girl named Pax, and boy do I hafta watch myself.  Pax is our son’s girl,  and last night, Paxie’s first evening with us, she sat on my lap and I petted her on her head and I had to keep thinking: “Watch your heart, man, watch your heart.”

Leah and I already have a dog of our own, a 14-year-old Australian Shepherd named Minnie who is a swell companion and beloved member of our household, but she has old girl health issues.  Minnie is mostly deaf, and she sleeps most of the time.  She can’t run with me, or even go along on anything but the shortest of walks.

Pax would be a swell hiking partner.

But Pax is our son’s pack-mate, and, come Sunday night, she’ll be back with him.  I can tell you already that Leah and I will miss having Pax around.

I’m trying hard not to get too attached to another man’s girl.