Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Weekend


The word “bounty” seems to get used quite a bit in our country during this, our Thanksgiving holiday. Today I thought I’d post two simple images I made of produce from our garden: Beans,  and tomatillos that we grew ourselves.

If you are like me, your email in-basket is full-to-overflowing today because it is Black Friday and lots of businesses want us to buy lots of stuff.  Only yesterday we Americans came together at family gatherings (or at meals with good friends) and we gave thanks for the bountiful fall harvest and for all we have...but today we’re hearing sophisticated and seductive drumbeats of marketing and advertising, telling us that life yesterday might have been good, but will be better tomorrow if we acquire this, that, or another thing.

Our national sense of thankful well-being only lasted a day -- it is now so yesterday -- and today we begin a month-long rush, counting down the number of shopping days till December 25.

Please don’t get me wrong. While I understand that some of what I’ve written above might sound like I’m a radical supporter of the “Buy Nothing” concept of the Christmas season and that I’m a cranky, anti-business kind of guy, the truth is that I’m merely saying that here at our house we're kind of turning down the volume on the ads and allowing ourselves a few more days -- maybe just through this weekend -- to feel contentment.

We also need to think of ways to make proper use of beans and tomatillos.