Friday, March 23, 2012

Getting Rattled


It was probably 30 years ago that I first hiked the Skyline Trail high above the Yakima River Canyon, and, in all humility, I must tell you that my outing that long-ago day was not auspicious.

The trail, you see, is in the dry, rain-shadow landscape east of Washington’s Cascade Mountains -- sagebrush and desert country. It is a beautiful environment with a wide-open sky and lots of wild land where elk, deer, and coyotes roam.

In the hot summer, however, that arid land is also prime habitat for the rattlesnake (Snakus Bastardus) and it was one of those venomous demons that brought me, literally, to my knees. I was hiking along alone, minding my own business, bothering neither man nor beast, when a snake popped his head from behind a rock and RATTLED ME -- literally and emotionally. I was so startled that I stumbled and tripped over a rock in the trail, falling on my face in the desert sand, winding up nose-to-nose with The Freaking Snake, which was still rattling. My heart beating wildly, I retreated, s-l-o-w-l-y, crawling backwards on my belly.

There was zero dignity in my retreat, but I cared about that not one bit.

My encounter with Snakus Bastardus brought an end to that day’s hike. With my legs trembling and wobbly, I kept my eyes peeled for more ratt'lers while slowly walking the several miles back to my car at the trailhead.

It’s taken me 30 years to rekindle my interest in desert hiking.

Last weekend two companions and I returned to do a spring hike on the Skyline Trail. It’s a little too early in the season for hot-weather-loving snakes to be out, so I can report that my friends and I were able to enjoy the magic of a snake-less desert. I even allowed myself relaxed, leisurely stops to make a few photographs (you should click on the panoramas below to view them at a larger size.)

I’m pleased to say too that I returned from last weekend’s hike with my dignity intact, and I even have plans to return in the next few weeks for more desert adventures. Come about June, however, I think I’ll stay away from the Yakima River Canyon country.

I really do not like snakes.