Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Auspicious Beginning


Two days before the New Year I was driving to a wedding I’d been hired to photograph in the sweet little town of Sequim at the foot of the Olympic Mountains. Passing a blustery and choppy Sequim Bay, I saw the wonderful rainbow you see above. A U-turn and a quick hop out of the car later, the rainbow was recorded as the beginning of my wedding day documentation.

Rainbows are said to be a sign of good luck for a wedding couple, and the wedding guests were all abuzz later with talk about the band of color they too had seen in the sky. "Did you see the rainbow?"..."Did you see the rainbow?" I heard folks asking one another again and again.

For two happy newlyweds that day, the amazing rainbow was an auspicious beginning of a marriage. For the rest of us, it offered hopeful possibilities for the New Year.