Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Printing for the Show


I’m madly working away in my office this week, getting my “Tibetans in Seattle” images edited, printed and matted. Three years ago when I began taking pictures for my Tibetan friends at their various community events, I had no plan to make The Work into A Project (nor did I consider the making of the photographs work, I might add.) It is simply a matter of happenstance that, after shooting for all this time, I can look back through my archives and realize that I have in fact amassed a pretty comprehensive collection of pictures that please me.

Thus, when the Tibetan Community asked if I would show my pictures in a gallery near where they’ll hold Tibet Fest this weekend, I said: "Sure, I can do that." And so I’m living, mole-like, in my office this week, staring for hours into my computer display screen, revisiting images and memories.

This process is quite enjoyable, actually.

Last weekend -- before I took on my mole identity -- I was still out and about in the world...shooting a number of things for my business, but also doing (as has become quite a pleasant habit) a volunteer shoot for the Tibetans and their monastery. A very important Tibetan Buddhist Lama, His Holiness Sakya Trisin, was in town, and I spent the better part of three days hanging out with the Tibetans.

It’s possible one or two of these new images might wind up in my show.