Friday, March 5, 2010

Big Trees


Friends who live in other states come to visit our place and I just know what’s going to happen: They’ll stand in our yard, tilt their heads back looking toward the sky, and exclaim: "Who-weee, look-at-those-TREES!"

Not that the trees towering above our house are any bigger or taller than others here in Western Washington -- this is, after all, The Evergreen State -- but visitors don’t know that. Until I put my guests in the car and take them on the Obligatory Drive to Mt. Rainier National Park or to the Olympic National Forest, they think the trees here at my place are the biggest things they’ve ever seen.

Whatever get-ready-for-company work Leah and I have done to clean the house and put fresh sheets on the guest bed all seems worthwhile from an ego standpoint as we hear our visitors exclaim about our trees.

To tell you the truth, our trees are pretty cool.

I don’t mind looking at them myself.