Friday, February 13, 2009

Seeing Light

Today the umbrella that we use during the rainy winter months for trips to the barn is out drying on the front porch. The four-leggeds and I have our many fingers and paw-toes crossed that we’ve made it through the Dark Months without public displays of insanity -- none of us has been spotted walking down the street mumbling, growling or meowing aloud to himself -- and the cat, dogs, and I are seeing light at the end of the long, dark, drippy tunnel that is a Pacific Northwest winter.

Not that winters in this corner of the country are all that bad, mind you, particularly when compared with the weather woes folks have in other parts of the country. My mother lives in Ohio and I talk with her on the phone nearly every day. Mom and I had a three-week stretch of conversations recently when she reported day after day after day that it was 8-degrees (F) in the Buckeye State. It might be dark and wet here in the Pacific Northwest, but I’ll take life with a flashlight and umbrella over life with frostbite and hypothermia any time.

It’s just a little depressing here in the winter is all I’m saying. But once Mister Sun begins showing himself again, whoo-wee! We do get happy!

I saw a wonderful moment last night at sunset when my son’s dog, Buddha, was looking out a small window near our front door. Incredible light was shining in through another window, bouncing off a mirror in the front hallway, finally coming to rest, beautifully, on a wall. It was quite a scene, and indicative of why we mossbacks do love-us-our-sunshine.