Friday, April 18, 2008

Lily

She’s a pest, an absolute pain-in-the-butt pest, but cuter than heck.

My friend Harley needed to be out of town again this week, so he asked if I wanted to milk his mama goat, Heidi. Milking Heidi is easy and pleasant, a kind of meditation rather than a chore. But dealing with Heidi’s kid, Lily, well that’s another matter.

I’m not sure how old Lily is in goat years, but in people years I’m positive Lily is in her Terrible Twos. While I milk patient goat mom Heidi, Lily climbs up on my shoulders. She nibbles on my hat, chews on my glasses. She gambols around in her half-in-control baby goat way, on the verge of tumbling into my milk pail. Then she makes nice: She breathes sweet baby goat breath in my face (this is actually kind of wonderful.)

Oh heck, I hafta admit: Lily is pretty swell.