Friday, November 30, 2007

Dumbstruck

I often shoot my personal pictures in black and white, but I can’t imagine having done my Nepal pictures in anything but color.

Most everything we saw on the trip--but particularly the three days we spent at the Tenboche Monastery for the Mani-rimdu festival--just screamed color. Every day we found ourselves slack-jawed and dumbstruck, witnesses to the most amazing Spectacle (with a capital “S.”) The images I was shooting needed to capture the Color (with a capital “C.”)

As I worked, I tried to remind myself: See beyond the Color. I tried to look for moment, for expression, for the feeling of the scene. To be quite honest, there was so much going on around me and it was all so amazing, I could have closed my eyes and fired the camera randomly and good images would have resulted. In the end I couldn't help myself: I made pictures that remind me of the box of Crayolas I had in kindergarten.

What a place to be!