Monday, October 1, 2007

Barn Chores


The point-and-shoot camera that I almost always carry in my pocket continues to win my photographic heart. I am smitten.

I went out to our barn a couple of days ago to do morning chores. I threw corn out for the chickens and was ready to toss hay into the feeder for the sheep when, low-and-behold, a photograph dropped into my life. My gentle sheep friend, Sweet Pea, peeked at me through the sheep door. I was enjoying the light falling on Sweet Pea and the look that he had on his furry face when, suddenly, Sweet Pea felt he needed to let me know that sheep need to be fed BEFORE chickens! A loud, emphatic “Baaa!” prompted me to fire the camera. The resulting image was a photographic moment I probably would not have caught, but for the little, always-have-it-with-me snapshot camera.

I guess it goes without saying that a camera is not much good if it’s so big and inconvenient, you don’t have it with you when something unexpected and wonderful presents itself. The point-and-shoot is cool because I can be gardening or splitting wood or riding my bike (all times it’s unlikely I’d have my pro SLR over my shoulder) but I can have my snapshot camera available.

This camera fits into my pocket. Better still, it fits seamlessly into my life.