Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Evolving



It’s only Day Two of my entry into the blogosphere and already the pure intentions I had for this site are evolving.

I’d initially thought I’d do this blog in the a-photo-a-day format, all new work, fresh out of the camera--a kind of daily photo diary. Now I’m thinking that yes, much of the work will be new, but sometimes I think I’ll post Theme Weeks, digging into my archives (recent imagery, not stuff shot 30 years ago.) Occasionally I think I’ll post photographs simply because today’s offering seems to fit with yesterday’s.

This week: Shadow Land.

The images above were shot as I rode my bike on Big Valley Rd. near Poulsbo, Washington. It was a late evening ride so the shadows were long and dramatic. The camera was an Olympus Stylus point-and-shoot film camera with a fixed 35mm lens. For the Web I’m scanning from double weight black and white prints I made in my own darkroom and find myself thinking: oh my goodness these prints are VERY nice. Why again am I being tempted by digital?

I’ve long been a recreational cyclist but lately I ride as a transportation alternative to driving the car. I’m trying to do whatever I can not to be part of Exxon’s bazillion dollar profit earning statement. Our society can’t afford to fund basic education or mental health facilities or health care for the poor, but we can put gas in the tanks of our cars and obscene profits in the pockets of the oil companies. No thanks. I’m gonna do what I can to avoid playing that game.

(Media Note: I’m looking forawrd to watching Bill Moyers tonight in his return to PBS. )